Pro Football Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Act Press Conference Featuring Pro Football Hall of Famers
WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, U.S. Senator Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and U.S. Congressmen Jim Renacci (R-OH-16) and Bob Gibbs (R-OH-7) will join members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame to push for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Act in advance of the Hall’s 50th anniversary in September.
In February 2013, Portman, along with Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), introduced bipartisan legislation in the Senate authorizing the U.S. Mint to create a commemorative coin in recognition of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. In April, Renacci and Gibbs, along with 12 other members of the Ohio Congressional delegation, introduced corresponding legislation in the House of Representatives.
“The Hall of Fame stands proudly in Canton, Ohio as a shining tribute to the men who have made professional football America’s most popular sport,” said George Veras, President and CEO of Pro Football Hall of Fame Enterprises. “As the Hall nears its 50th Anniversary in September, we are grateful that Senator Portman, Congressmen Renacci and Gibbs, and their colleagues have taken up this legislation to honor the legacy of the Hall, and promote the rich history and positive values of the game of professional football.”
The Pro Football Hall of Fame represents the best in professional football by honoring the individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the sport, preserving the history of the game, and promoting the positive values of the sport. Canton, Ohio is the proud birthplace of pro football, as the American Professional Football League, which later became the NFL, was founded there in 1920. The Buckeye State claims 23 Hall of Famers who played for the Bengals and Browns.
Portman and Manchin introduced the Pro Football Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Act (S.3077) in the last Congress, along with 13 other Senate cosponsors. Representative Jim Renacci (R-OH-16) introduced corresponding legislation in the 112th Congress which passed the House of Representatives in August 2012.
- U.S. Senator Rob Portman (R-Ohio)
- U.S. Representative Jim Renacci (R-OH-16)
- U.S. Representative Bob Gibbs (R-OH-7)
- Fmr Senator/Governor George Allen, representing his father, Coach George Allen, Los Angeles Rams/Washington Redskins (Alma College, Marquette, Michigan, Eastern Michigan), HOF Class of 2002
- George Veras, President and CEO of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Enterprises
- Floyd Little, RB Denver Broncos (Syracuse University), HOF Class of 2010
- Lynn Swann, WR Pittsburgh Steelers (University of Southern California), HOF Class of 2001
- Kellen Winslow, Sr., TE San Diego Chargers (University of Missouri), HOF Class of 1995
- Steve Largent, WR Seattle Seahawks (University of Tulsa), HOF Class of 1995
WHAT: Pro Football Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Act Press Conference
WHEN: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 2:15PM
WHERE: House Triangle; East Front of the U.S. Capitol
To RSVP, please email Ryan Dahl at the House Radio and Television Gallery, Ryan.Dahl@mail.house.gov.