Gibbs Statement on Creation of Select Committee
WASHINGTON, DC – Wednesday afternoon, the House of Representatives voted to establish a Select Investigative Panel to investigate the practices related to abortion procedures and the alleged sale of body parts for profit.
After the vote, Congressman Bob Gibbs released the following statement:
“Earlier this year, we saw the dark nature of the abortion industry. The revelations in the videos released by the Center for Medical Progress are gruesome and show a complete lack of respect for the life of the unborn. I believe no federal funding should be given to facilities or organizations that perform abortions.
“We owe it to taxpayers to scrutinize the allegations in these videos. If any organization is profiting from the sale of body parts taken from aborted children, that is a crime and it should be investigated. I look forward to the committee’s investigation and hope that their findings reveal the truth.”
The committee has been tasked with investigating and providing a report with recommendations on:
- Medical procedures and business practices used by entities involved in fetal tissue procurement
- Any other relevant matters with respect to fetal tissue procurement
- Federal funding and support for abortion providers
- The practices of providers of second and third trimester abortions, including partial birth abortion and procedures that may lead to a child born alive as a result of an attempted abortion
- Medical procedures for the care of a child born alive as a result of an attempted abortion
- Any changes in law or regulation necessary as a result of any of its findings